Re: Time almanac Fogler, Patricia A Civ USAF AETC AUL/LTSC 06 Feb 2008 13:45 UTC

Thank you.   I do serials as well as everything else so I'm not always
certain that my take on the current rules is what it should be.  I do
appreciate seeing you run through the various elements & your
determination at the end.

It's good to see the OCLC record cleaned up.

Thanks!

Patricia

Patricia Fogler, Catalog Librarian
Muir S. Fairchild Research Information Center
600 Chennault Circle, Maxwell AFB, AL 36112
(334) 953-2135  patricia.fogler@maxwell.af.mil
https://catalog.au.af.mil
http://www.au.af.mil/au/aul/lane.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Steven C Shadle
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 10:31 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Time almanac

Sources, sources, sources.

Since there is no title source note and this appears to be book like,
I'm guessing source is title page.  If #38222513 is cataloged correctly,
it appears the title appearing on the title page from 1999 to 2003 is
'Time almanac'.  The addition/dropping of 'with Information Please' from
the cover would not affect the title as it appears on the chief source
and the choice of title proper.

#180705772 is a little odd however in that the title proper they're
referencing in the 780 link is different from what currently appears in
#38222513.  Could be bad cataloging, could be that there were some
records collapsed and this 780 was never updated.  As the records
currently stand,

#38222513  Time Almanac -->  #180705772 Time Alamanac

is obviously not *any* change (major or not) and the record for the
later 'title' should be reported for deletion.  I will try to verify
information best I can but our run is pretty spotty.  I agree with
Patricia's judgment that 'powered by Encyclopedia Britannica' is more
like a statement of responsibility than part of title proper.

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian  *****  shadle@u.washington.edu
University of Washington Libraries      ***     Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                   *        Fax: (206) 543-0854

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Fogler, Patricia A Civ USAF AETC AUL/LTSC wrote:

> Can someone clear up for me whether the 2008 Time almanac really
> constitutes a title change?
>
> I was given it because it now says "powered by Encyclopedia
Britannica"
> and because "Information Please" is now nowhere to be found on it.
>
> My take would be that Encyclopedia Britannica is functioning as a
> publisher rather than as additional title information.  The new record

> in OCLC (#180705772) has a 710 for Encyclopedia Britannica but has the
> exact same 245 minus the article "The".    This seems to me to be a
> minor change.
>
> "Information Please" was added in 2000 to the 246 in the record (that
> we have in our system) which began in 1998, and it's absence doesn't
> affect the 245.  Am I right to continue to use this record:
(OCoLC)38222513?