Re: What was this serials technology called? Paulsen, Elizabeth 30 Apr 2008 18:04 UTC

In our library they were called linedexes.  We used a heavy stock paper
and cut each line off the sheet as we typed. You inserted the paper into
it and then bowing it slightly inserted each end and straight it out.
It was inserted similarly to the way kardex cards were.

Beth Paulsen
Gift Supervisor
University of Idaho Library
Box 442373
Moscow, ID  83844-2373
bpaulsen@uidaho.edu
(208) 8852739

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 10:14 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] What was this serials technology called?

This is a somewhat recreational question, but perhaps the list would
be willing to weigh in on it.

I've been cruising flickr looking for cataloging images for my blog,
and found this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/meliroo/444411917/in/set-72157600043671337/

I realized that it's a mysterious, lost technology that I don't know
anything about.  What on earth was it called?  I struggle to think of
keywords to even Google it!

I'm old enough to remember them in use, but never personally worked
with them. How did all the little cardboard strips fit into the
typewriter so you could type on them? Do you pull off the top metal
strip of the holder and drop the strips into each side? And, I
suppose you have to shift all the strips each time you get a new line
...?

Any insight into the workings of these things from long-time
serialists would be appreciated!
--
Cheryl Boettcher Tarsala
Adjunct Assistant Professor

c-tarsala@linkline.com
ctarsala@uiuc.edu

The views expressed here are my own and not those of UIUC or GSLIS.