Re: What was this serials technology called? Lynn Cote 30 Apr 2008 18:28 UTC

Please report problems with access to electronic resources to
elibrary@uconn.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Lynn Cote
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:14 PM
To: 'SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum'
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] What was this serials technology called?

This is a very distant memory of @ 30 years ago ....
We referred to ours as the "linedex" (alphabetical single or multi-line
entries for journal titles and associated holdings--included location
information, lines with x-refs, etc.).  I believe we used different
colored strips. Every time we added a new subscription these had to be
shifted. When holdings changed they had to be re-typed. I can't recall
if using an electric eraser worked since it would be difficult to put a
single strip into the typewriter but I do recall that we had a specific
typewriter for linedex entries.

Lynn K. Cote
Serials Cataloger
Collections Services, U-2005