Re: News about lawsuit against Georgia State Belvadi, Melissa 19 Apr 2008 15:45 UTC

If you read the actual filing, however, you'll see that the overwhelming
majority of the complaint is about the use of multiple chapters from
books. There are some articles included in the appendix, but the suit is
mainly about book chapters in e-reserves and GSU's course management
system. From the complaint, it does appear GSU went a bit overboard in
how much of a single book they allowed to be digitized - much more than
just one or two chapters in some cases.

Also, it is quite possible that this case won't ever get to the merits
of fair use, because of the "state sovereignty" issue surrounding suing
a state government (a public university is part of the state government
in the eyes of the US Supreme Court) under federal copyright law. And a
federal district court has recently thrown out as unconstitutional an
attempt by Congress to explicitly make state govts subject to copyright
law: http://tinyurl.com/5tyqcn

The biggest take-away message, however, may be: make sure that outsiders
can't see your e-reserves! Apparently the publishers discovered all this
because GSU carelessly left their e-reserves completely unprotected and
open to the Internet for a long period of time, only closing it up after
the publishers began to contact them. That interpretation is based
solely on my reading of the actual filing by the plaintiffs. Disclaimer:
I am not a lawyer.

Melissa Belvadi
Systems and Services Librarian
Maryville University