Re: Daily Newspapers Karen Chobot 21 Apr 2008 16:50 UTC

We have used mail delivery for several years since we have always been too
small for direct delivery.  Our patrons are totally used to it for our
regional papers, so it isn't a problem.  We have several of the larger
papers online but it is hard to tell who uses those.  I suppose some of the
older people would prefer a printed paper, I know that is largely who uses
our mailed copies.

Of course, we are an academic so that may make a difference.  I bought the
Chronicle site license and forward the daily update to the faculty.  Some of
them have also got their daily updates to their own e-mail addresses, and
getting that seems to push me (at any rate) into looking at the full issue.

Hope that helps,
Karen

Karen M. Chobot, MLS
Director, Mildred Johnson Library
North Dakota State College of Science
800 6th St. N.
Wahpeton ND 58076
701-671-2385

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Holman Jenifer S
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 9:13 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Daily Newspapers

We just received word that many of our newspapers delivered daily are no
longer available.  The delivery service says that the major newspaper
companies can no longer afford to transport papers to smaller markets.
Our only option will be to subscribe to newspapers via mail delivery,
meaning that our users who like to come in first thing in the morning
and read the New York Times or the Chicago Tribune will no longer be
able to do so.

I wonder if other libraries are experiencing similar problems with
newspaper delivery?  Will you continue with mail delivery?  Or are you
canceling print newspapers and relying on the online versions?

Jen Holman

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jenifer Holman
Acquisitions Librarian