Job posting: Electronic Resources Librarian, Notre Dame Law School (Joe Thomas) Bob Persing 23 Apr 2008 14:56 UTC

From: Joe Thomas (jthomas@nd.edu)
To: SERIALST
Re: Notre Dame Law Library position - Electronic Resources
Date: 4/23/08 10:45 AM

*Position Announcement - Electronic Resources Librarian*

The Kresge Library of the Notre Dame Law School is seeking a talented
librarian to help us establish a new position and then to be its
founding occupant.  We are looking for someone who understands
electronic resources and is adept at making them useful to library
patrons.  We are looking for an independent thinker with a cooperative
outlook, a flexible and creative person who will help the library
establish goals, methods, and structures that will make our electronic
resources available to our users in the most sensible fashion while
helping to ensure that the library's investment in electronic resources
is responsibly maintained.

The Kresge Library is an integral part of the Notre Dame Law School and
offers exceptional opportunities for developing professional skills and
contributing to the educational mission of the Law School.  The
successful candidate will be a member of an experienced faculty of 10
librarians and part of the regular faculty of the Law School.

*Qualifications: *

The successful candidate for the Electronic Resources Library position
will be an  intelligent, self-motivated, and detail-oriented individual
with an M.L.S. or M.I.S. from an ALA-accredited school.  A demonstrated
ability to work with online resources in a complex environment is a
necessary attribute.  We also seek someone with the ability to supervise
others with attention and compassion, and with the ability to
communicate effectively with faculty, students and staff, individually
and in group settings.  An understanding of the University's mission and
a respectful appreciation of the Catholic character of the University is
also necessary (see http://nd.edu/aboutnd/mission-statement/ )

*Duties: *

The Electronic Resources Librarian position is a work in progress, and
one of the chief duties of the successful candidate will be to assist in
the proper shaping of the position.  There are several areas of
responsibility which are anticipated to be overseen by the position: the
coordination of all activities associated with the management of
electronic resources, including oversight of an Electronic Resource
Management system, updating and maintaining links, coordination of
content on an electronic resources web page, and work with the
cataloging phase of electronic resources.  The Electronic Resources
Librarian will supervise two staff members, one a newly defined position
of Electronic Resources Assistant, and the other the Technology Support
Assistant/Systems Coordinator, who in turn oversees our Innovative
Interfaces Millennium ILS.  We anticipate that the ERL will coordinate
technology issues with the law school's Technology Services (IT)
Department, manage technical problems with electronic resources vendors,
coordinate vendor relation issues, licensing, etc., with the Collection
Development Librarian, and participate in the instruction of electronic
resources users.  The Electronic Resources Librarian will share in the
management of the Technical Services Department working in close
collaboration with the Head of the Department, the Collection
Development Librarian, and the Bibliographic Control/Database
Maintenance Librarian.

*Environment: *

The Kresge Library supports a national law school serving approximately
580 students and 35 full-time faculty.  The experienced staff of 27
includes ten professionals.  As members of the Law School faculty,
librarians are welcome participants on Law School and University
committees.  Construction of a new Notre Dame Law School building began
in the summer of 2007; a major renovation of the Kresge Library will
follow in 2009.  For additional information about the Kresge Library,
see http://www.nd.edu/~lawlib/ <http://www.nd.edu/%7Elawlib/>.

*Compensation:
*
The salary will be competitive and commensurate with qualifications and
experience.  The University offers a generous benefits package,
including medical and dental insurance, liberal vacations, retirement
options, tuition benefits for dependents, and access to University
events.  The Law Library underwrites individual membership in the
American Association of Law Libraries and provides generous support for
appropriate conferences and workshops.

Available: While the position will remain open until a successful
candidate has been identified, applications received by June 15, 2008
will be assured consideration.

To Apply: Email applications are encouraged.  Please send cover letter,
resume and three references to Ed Edmonds, Director of the Library
(eedmonds@nd.edu <mailto:eedmonds@nd.edu>).

Notre Dame is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer

--
Joe Thomas
Head of Technical Services