Re: III and Serials solutions Barbara Pope 01 May 2008 14:31 UTC

That is very interesting to know that about the III ERM.  We use Serials
Solutions and with it there is the resource level, as you describe it,
and the title level.  If I subscribe to entire package of journals, I
can put in the price and other information at either the resource level
or the title level.  I don't think I would qualify the records I put
into the Serials Solutions ERM as "order records."  It is more like a
central area for keeping track of information about what journals you
have access to and includes payment information, licensing, contact
information, and administrative user ids and passwords.

Barbara Pope

Andree Rathemacher wrote:
> Barbara,
>
> We use the Innovative ERM, although we're really just getting started with
> it.
>
> But, the reason we use a suppressed bib record to hold the order is that the
> ERM records are at the resource level, while order records correspond often
> to single titles.
>
> For example, the resource in the ERM might be "Blackwell-Synergy" which
> describes our journals from Blackwell hosted on their Synergy platform. (Of
> course, those same journals might also be hosted on EBSCOhost EJS or
> Ingenta, in which case there could be a separate resource record in the ERM
> for them). But, in our case, we do not have a journal package from
> Blackwell; we subscribe to all our e-journals individually. Thus, each
> journal has a separate order record. Thus, I *associate *each order with the
> Blackwell-Synergy resource record in the ERM, but the orders are actually
> attached to suppressed bibs, one for each title.
>
> In the case of something like Project Muse, or Sage Premier, yes, we could
> attach the order to the resource record instead of the bib (except that we
> already had bibs for such resources for a long time and everything is in
> place.)
>
> There is also something that I am not sure about, but I seem to remember
> hearing at IUG last year that if you have an order record created in the
> ERM, but you are in the Serials Module, the order record doesn't show up, or
> visa versa. Someone else could speak to this better, or maybe it's been
> fixed...
>
> I'm encouraged that you find the ERM to be a big time saver. I am still
> getting used to being in two modules at once (Serials and ERM), which I
> really have to be to access all our subscription data. This of course is a
> real system hog, so I tend to avoid it.
>
> andree
>
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Barbara Pope <bpope@pittstate.edu> wrote:
>

>> I am very curious about this.  Do all of you who use the process of
>> creating a separate bib record and supress it also use an ERM?  We use an
>> ERM to keep track of all of our electronic journal orders, payments,
>> licensing information, and contact information.  I find the ERM to be a
>> real life and time saver.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Barbara Pope, MALS
>> Periodicals/Reference Librarian
>> Axe Library
>> Pittsburg State University
>> 1701 S. Broadway
>> Pittsburg KS  66762
>> 620-235-4884
>> bpope@pittstate.edu
>>

>>> Our library uses the same process you describe, and we do create
>>> suppressed
>>> brief records specifically to hold the order records.

> [...]
>>> 662-915-7059