Re: Losing periodical space Aline Soules 14 May 2008 19:50 UTC

I don't mean to be flip, but it's probably time time to weed - duplications
with e-formats, items no longer used or used so infrequently that ILL is an
option, reviewing retention decisions for certain journals that might be
viable on a "keep for only [1, 2, 3] years" basis, and so on.

Sadly, space is finite and if you can't fit them all, something must go.  I
presume from your email that it will not be possible to store them or to
introduce compact shelving.

Aline Soules
Cal State East Bay
510-885-4596
aline.soules@csueastbay.edu

________________________________

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Barbara A.
Shipman
Sent: Wed 5/14/2008 12:46 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Losing periodical space

I'm currently on a committee to help in the reorganization of our periodicals
floor.  Unfortunately, we will lose space rather than gain space (no
surprises there).  We will lose an area that houses our current journals as
well as a couple of ranges for our bound journals.  The periodicals will
remain on the same floor.  As far as I know, placing a some of the bound
journals in the basement isn't a consideration.  The challenging part for the
committee is to figure out how to work with the same amount of journals with
less room.  I know a majority of you have been through the same situation in
you libraries.  I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your
experiences with me.  I hope to get some great ideas that will help our
library accomplish this challenging feat.

Thank you,
Barbara
 Barbara A. Shipman
 Acquisitions Department