Re: Losing periodical space Tian Zhang 14 May 2008 23:49 UTC

We just finished a weeding project for journals today after over working nights and weekends since February. One of the reasons for this project is to reduce space for the library and for making room for the humanities center moving into the library. (We are requested to reduce at least 35%  or more of our print and microfilms holdings in order to fit our collections to the reduced space). Of course this weeding project requests us to maintain the same or better services to our library users, which means we should provide the accessibility to the same quantity of titles or even more titles. In order to fulfil this task, librarians and staff members worked so hard for the passed several months for checking and deselecting. I am glad to share our experience with the other serials librarians.

We  need to have at least three working teams. One team is to provide the holdings information about the titles, such as bind vol. microform, online availability, coverage period, etc. (We made Excel files of subject lists of titles and sent to all the departments' chairs of the university).

One team has to contact with faculty members, departments' chairs, or librarians who are in charge of the subjects. Give them the lists and ask them to select the important titles to keep. (They are the experts for their familiar titles by quality and usefulness). After we got the feedbacks we then made decisions accordingly.

The third team is to do the physical withdrawal once they are given the deselected titles, and to count the physical volumes or roles deleted and also to make sure the selected titles remains untouched in the shelves.

It sounds simple, but it took us a lot of time and energy to make it works for us. Our policy is: any online title will no longer have any physical holdings, which does not include the art journals. (We still keep most of the print volumes of art journals upon the request of the subject librarian). Any possibility to purchase the backfiles (online archives) in package will be counted as online titles. (This needs to check our print holdings against the list of the backfiles. If a backfile package consists of a large number of titles we have, and the price is reasonable, and the payments can be divided into several years, etc., we will consider subscribe it. At the same time, we have to deal with the publisher to see the purchasing possibility within our budget). For those without online coverage, the completeness of holdings, or the quality of the titles, and the holdings in different libraries near us are all elements to consider. The deselection of the titles without online equivalence is very hard.  At last, we felt so difficult to delete some old titles (or holdings) considering our university's needs, and we made a decision to send few less used titles to the other campus library.

Not all professors are happy with what we are doing. We sometimes need  to explain to them, while working with them about their selections.

At meantime, our library also considered making good use of our withdrawn titles for the other libraries. We contacted the other libraries and sent them lists of titles to let them select. Of course this resulted in more jobs for us by packing the titles for different people, for faculty, for some dept's who have rooms to host their favirout titles, for middle school libraries, and for foreign country university libraries. We feel happy for doing that because we did not just throw our long time collection into dumpster.

After finishing this project, we feel we could do better if we need to do it again. Anyhow, we fulfiled our task, more than 35% of the physical holdings are gone. And it ends that we did not reduce any important titles by their holdings, on the contrary, we will add several online backfile packages with hundreds of new tittles for our users. Now, we have to fix our OPAC during the summer....

Hope this can help you a little bit.

Tian Zhang
Head of Serials Department/General Periodicals Department
St. John's University Library