Re: Losing periodical space van Sickle, Jennifer 15 May 2008 13:29 UTC

We have a dedicated basement with compact shelving, and we still don't
have enough room for bound periodicals.  We participate in a regional
JSTOR repository, so that helped.  We are currently weeding more titles
that are fully available online and that are not expected to get any
more use in print.  All of this is done in consultation with faculty, so
there are no surprises.

--Jennifer

Jennifer van Sickle
Serials Librarian & Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu

phone: 860-297-2250
fax: 860-297-2251

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Barbara A. Shipman
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 3:47 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Losing periodical space

I'm currently on a committee to help in the reorganization of our
periodicals floor.  Unfortunately, we will lose space rather than gain
space (no surprises there).  We will lose an area that houses our
current journals as well as a couple of ranges for our bound journals.
The periodicals will remain on the same floor.  As far as I know,
placing a some of the bound journals in the basement isn't a
consideration.  The challenging part for the committee is to figure out
how to work with the same amount of journals with less room.  I know a
majority of you have been through the same situation in you libraries.
I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your experiences with
me.  I hope to get some great ideas that will help our library
accomplish this challenging feat.

Thank you,
Barbara
 Barbara A. Shipman