Re: Can we get rid of annual title reconciliations for Big Deals? Andree Rathemacher 16 May 2008 11:13 UTC

>From the meta point of view, I am opposed to big deal packages a la Frazier
(cites below). From a cost point of view, however, they ARE often a bargain,
and from an electronic resources management point of view, most of the time
they are SO MUCH better than dealing with individual titles.

I agree though, in terms of titles included, large packages can be like
shifting sands. In something like ScienceDirect, it is hard to keep track of
what is "your title for ever and ever" vs. what is yours through the Freedom
Collection (not that it really matters unless you cancel or if a title moves
to another publisher.)

And with a package like Cambridge Journals Online, each year, when Cambridge
takes over a new title, they have to ask you if you subscribed to it
individually before. If you did, you have to pay more. If you didn't you get
it free! Yes, how about just a simple package price based on FTE or
something!

On a related note, last year, my library signed onto Sage Premier through
the NERL consortium. There are so many "flavors" of this package, based on
when you signed up, that I'm not totally sure which version to select in the
Serials Solutions Client Center, or if I need to add any other titles to my
selection.

Finally, I recently priced (but did not purchase) a number of back file
packages from the major publishers. They too, were complicated, depending on
whether or not you wanted the package to be "frozen" at the time of purchase
or if you wanted back file access to titles that may be acquired by the
publishers after you signed up.

Personally, I think that a) the packages themselves and b) the complications
of annual title changes are due to the publishers trying to extract every
last bit of value out of their titles to enhance their revenue stream. I can
only hope that, like the big oil companies trying to make their profits
before peak oil, regulation, and alternative energy drives them out of
business, the big publishers are doing the same because open access will
make them obsolete.

My two cents,
andree

========================
Frazier, Kenneth. 2001. The librarians' dilemma: Contemplating the costs of
the "big deal." *D-Lib Magazine* 7, no. 3 (March),
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/march01/frazier/03frazier.html.

Frazier, Kenneth. 2005. What's the big deal? *Serials Librarian* 48, no.
1/2: 49-59.

And this is a great article, by the way:

Lewis, David W. 2008. Library budgets, open access, and the future of
scholarly communication: Transformations in academic publishing. C&RL News
69, no. 5.
http://www.ala.org/ala/acrl/acrlpubs/crlnews/backissues2008/may08/librarybudgetsscholcomm.cfm<dleewis@iupui.edu>
*

--