Re: RE - Can we get rid of annual title reconciliations for Big Deals? Peter Picerno 20 May 2008 14:01 UTC

I second all the thoughts and feelings which have gone before, with the
addendum that the continual appearance and disappearance of titles along
with their 'residual archival trails' is really a disservice to patrons.
I often get inquiries about titles which are parts of 'big deals' where
we have access to titles from, say, 1998-2006 but not the last two years
(because those titles were negotiated out of the consortial title list
and were too expensive to continue as an individual library) and then
have to explain to a frustrated user that indeed we don't have current
title access. In this sense, one cannot really talk about an e-journal
'collection' as such because many of the titles are incomplete or not
current and one has to question the real long-term value of such
practices for our user needs.

Peter V. Picerno
Serials & Electronic Resources Librarian
Asst. Head of Resource Development
Green Library
Florida International University
11200 SW 8th Street