ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group (Linda Haack Lomker) Bob Persing 16 Jun 2008 22:07 UTC

From: Linda Lomker (l-lomk@umn.edu)
To: SERIALST
Subject: Creative Ideas in Technical Services DG
Date: 6/16/08 15:07

The ALCTS Creative Ideas in Technical Services Discussion Group will
meet during the ALA Annual Meeting in Anaheim on Sunday, June 29, 2008
in the  Anaheim Convention Center room 213 D on Sunday at 4:00
Participants are welcome to join breakout discussions on the topics
listed below.  At the end of the discussion period, each group will give
a short summary for the benefit of all attendees.

The tentative discussion topics are:

1.      How to choose, order and manage electronic journal packages

2.      The use of vendor cataloging records and shelf-ready services

3.      The use of macros, templates, programming etc. to streamline
Technical Services tasks

4.      Metadata, traditional cataloging and other data streams

5.      Cross-training staff across functions and formats

6.      Cost analysis of TS work

7.      Organizational models for Technical Services

8.      Relationships between different library departments within and
outside of Technical Services

Volunteers sought:  Once again we are asking for volunteers either to
facilitate or to record the discussions at each topic table.

Responsibilities of the volunteers:

*Facilitators* guide the discussion on the topics at their tables,
making sure everyone participates, and keep the discussion within the
allotted time.  The chair and vice-chair will provide facilitators with
suggestions to serve as a discussion guide.

*Recorders* take notes during discussions and send a written report to
the chair soon after the conference is over.  These reports form the
basis for the reports to ALCTS and Technical Services Quarterly.

If you would be willing to facilitate or record the discussion at one of
the tables, please send your information by June 24 to Linda Lomker,
email to L-Lomk@tc.umn.edu.  Indicate any or all topics that you would
be willing to facilitate or record.   We really appreciate our volunteers.

We eagerly look forward to seeing you in Anaheim,
Linda Haack Lomker, Chair, University of Minnesota Libraries
Mary Finn, Vice-Chair, Virginia Tech, University Libraries

--
Linda Haack Lomker
Specialized Cataloging Section Leader

E-mail: L-Lomk@umn.edu