Report of the Commission / International Whaling Commission Kemp, Rebecca 19 Jun 2008 14:54 UTC

Thank you to Karen Wilson and Steve Shadle for answering my question.
--Rebecca

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:24:31 -0400
From:    "Kemp, Rebecca" <kempr@UNCW.EDU>
Subject: Re: Report of the Commission / International Whaling Commission

Sorry if I'm overlooking something basic, but is there a reason that
this title has two different ISSN in these two OCLC records: 1997797 and
6468892? =20

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca Kemp
Serials Coordinator Librarian
W.M. Randall Library
UNC Wilmington
601 S. College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403
phone (910) 962-7220
fax (910) 962-3078
kempr<at>uncw<dot>edu

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:23:17 -0800
From:    Karen Wilson <fnkmw1@UAF.EDU>

The Commission changed it's name from International Commission on
Whaling to International Whaling Commission, hence the two records.

Karen Wilson
Library Technician/NACO Coordinator
Bibliographic Access Management
Elmer E. Rasmuson Library
University of Alaska Fairbanks

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Jun 2008 14:52:41 -0700
From:    Steven C Shadle <shadle@U.WASHINGTON.EDU>

Rebecca -- Because there has been a major change in the key title (MARC
222, specifically the change of corporate body name), a new ISSN was
assigned (and correspondingly a successive record was created when the
corporate body main entry changed).

There are times when a successive record is created (and/or a new ISSN
is assigned) even though the title proper doesn't change.  In terms of
successive records, refer to AACR 21.3B.

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian  *****  shadle@u.washington.edu
University of Washington Libraries      ***     Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                   *        Fax: (206) 543-0854