Re: Libraries Moving Towards E-Only Access Wilma Dague 17 Jul 2008 18:16 UTC

We haven't so much cancelled our print subscriptions as much as we've cut way back on binding.

Best regards,

Wilma Weant Dague
Serials  Coordinator
Benedictine College Library
1020 North 2nd St.
Atchison, KS 66002

(913) 360-7610
wdague@benedictine.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Thomas, Susan Elaine
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:25 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Libraries Moving Towards E-Only Access

I would agree that it is not a standard best practice to cancel a print subscription with the plan to rely on the electronic copy available in the aggregated database.  However, when budgets are tight (flat budget for over eight years), canceling print subscriptions that are currently available full-text in a aggregated database becomes a viable solution. Serials inflation is inflated and unjustly erodes a library budget.   In discussing the cancellations with faculty, we refer to it as avoiding duplicate expenditure with a note that making this decision now may result in a temporary loss of access in the future.  When and if that happens, we note that we will re-evaluate the subscription.

I have been involved in such cancellation decision in the past eight years at two different libraries and from what I have seen, the number of titles that stopped being available that were still requested by the faculty/department, was not statistically significant enough to warrant a discontinuation of this practice.

Periodical subscriptions are currently in a great state of flux with an exponential increase in the availability of an electronic copy.  We are now working with an assumption, with both periodical subscriptions and reference materials, that it is no longer a question of losing access but rather, who will be the new supplier.

Susan E. Thomas
Head of Collection Development
Schurz Library
Indiana University South Bend