Re: Libraries Moving Towards E-Only Access Sue Wiegand 21 Jul 2008 18:09 UTC

Yes. My idea is that we have to evaluate the important titles--we
shouldn't cancel print because it is in an aggregator, *unless* it's a
marginal title anyway (for me, based more on collaborating with faculty
to know which titles they want and also on recommending sources (Katz/La
Guardia mostly), and less on usage.) As I look at titles we have in
print, first I want the most important journals in the field to be
available, electronically in a stable platform if possible. If we can't
afford the electronic, then in print (think _Science_, as Rick mentions
in discussing the key value of impact.) I also use many of the criteria
that have been mentioned when evaluating title formats. I look at, for
instance, graphics (for Math), illustrations (for Art), inclusion of
content where that's important, online availability, and whether it's a
browsing title, etc.
I also check to see what other institutions have a title available for
ILL possibilities, but also try to keep in mind that without some kind
of collective collection development agreement with those institutions,
that access could be lost also.

Additionally, I think that if it's important to have a title but
aggregator coverage is adequate (this would be a title somewhere between
crucial and marginal), we somehow need to find a way to track that those
titles are still available in the aggregated database, so we can look
for alternative access if necessary. This gets into the thorny issue of
checking the online access for some titles in nearly the same way as we
"check-in" for print, and I don't think there's a really effective way
to do this yet. It would also be good to periodically make sure all
electronic titles that we pay for are available, not just the aggregator
titles, but realistically at this time, I think most of us rely on
patrons to let us know when access has lapsed, unless there are auditor
or other issues.

Also, I think that if I collaborate with faculty to keep a title they
want available, I need to continue to work with them to encourage them
to suggest or require their students to actually use it, and I offer to
show them how to use email alerts or talk about RSS feeds to increase
visibility of the current issues. I find that many faculty are looking
for ways to be able to show their students how to keep up with the
literature in the field in the absence of a print issue arriving every
month. This could affect usage stats, too. The faculty members know the
important titles, but they aren't always aware of the new ways of
finding out, for instance, when a new issue comes out (beyond their own
membership copies.) So this approach requires a lot of collaboration
with disciplinary faculty as well as other librarians who do library
instruction, but I guess it's all part of the new paradigm as we learn
how best to approach the changes in scholarly communication.
Thanks for a great discussion.

Sue

--

Sue Wiegand