Re: How do you arrange your periodicals? JANET ESSENCY 26 Jul 2008 17:31 UTC

Wilma,
    I have worked in places where titles are alphabetical and places where
the periodicals are shelved by title. Each way has its merits. Trouble is
neither pleases everybody!!
    Anyway, advantages of subject arrangement is as you suggest is
browseability and that title changes are kept together (usually).
    The people who prefer alpha arrangement are those who have a title in
mind,
    Having just been though a renovation myself, it will cost more money to
rearrange your collection that just to move it from one place to another.
Space planning was key. I did not have the right measurements (done by
student workers and inattentive staff) for our titles and it turned out to
be a real mess. So my advice, make very sure that you really want to do
this. Because you may have to live with for long time. Best of luck.
Janet Essency

----- Original Message -----
From: "Wilma Dague" <wdague@BENEDICTINE.EDU>
To: <SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 3:46 PM
Subject: [SERIALST] How do you arrange your periodicals?

We're under going some construction at our library, so I have the
opportunity to rethink the way our periodicals are presented. Previously
we've had them arranged in rough alphabetical order, but I was thinking of
organizing them by topic-except some topics might overlap. But then Bible
Today would be near Theology Today for example and it would seem to
facilitate browsing. How do you all organize your periodicals? What problems
have you encountered?

Best regards,

Wilma Weant Dague
Serials  Coordinator