Re: Need $h [print] in MARC 245 for serials? Susan Wishnetsky 31 Jul 2008 16:28 UTC

At 09:12 AM 7/31/2008, Steve Black wrote:

>The MARC 245 title statement includes the option of adding $h for the
>medium, e.g. [microform] or [electronic resource]. I guess it's assumed
>if there's no $h, it's a print resource. However, at reference I'm
>encountering more and more young patrons who assume that journals are
>available online.
>
>Has there been any discussion in the cataloging community about using $h
>[print] for serials?

Good point.  Why just serials?  Why not books, too?

Then the question is: what about titles available in both print and electronic
formats?  Maybe those are the ones that wouldn't get any $h subfield at all?

>If a single bibliographic record is used, and formats are distinguished
>in the holdings records, what's the best way in MFHD to assure
>information about the medium is clearly displayed to patrons?

You mean, to tell them in the MFHD that it is electronic, rather than print?

The best way -- that's a matter of opinion, no?  We have location codes for
holdings which show up in the OPAC as "Electronic Online Journal" or
"Mezzanine".  The electronic holdings have notes about access restrictions
and sometimes instructions.  But the main way they are distinguished is
that the e-holdings have links, and the print holdings don't.  We always put
our 856s into the MFHD, never the bib.

I think it works pretty well, but I dunno about being the best.  SW

>Steve Black
>Reference, Serials, and Instruction Librarian
>Neil Hellman Library
>The College of Saint Rose
>392 Western Ave.
>Albany, NY 12203
>(518) 458-5494
>blacks@strose.edu

Susan Wishnetsky
Electronic Resources Librarian
Galter Health Sciences Library
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008

(312) 503-9351
FAX (312) 503-1204