Re: Need $h [print] in MARC 245 for serials? Beth Guay 01 Aug 2008 15:48 UTC

Steve --

I've inserted a couple of responses below,

Beth

Beth Guay
Monographs/Continuing Resources Cataloger
McKeldin Library, University of Maryland
College Park, Maryland 20742

(301) 405-9339
fax (301) 314-9971
baguay@umd.edu

BLACK, STEVE wrote:
> The MARC 245 title statement includes the option of adding $h for the
> medium, e.g. [microform] or [electronic resource]. I guess it's assumed
> if there's no $h, it's a print resource. However, at reference I'm
> encountering more and more young patrons who assume that journals are
> available online.
>

> Has there been any discussion in the cataloging community about using $h
> [print] for serials?

I haven't heard any discussion -- a big issue to address would be the
legacy records in the catalog -- so many!

> If a single bibliographic record is used, and formats are distinguished
> in the holdings records, what's the best way in MFHD to assure
> information about the medium is clearly displayed to patrons?

Location codes, e.g. 852 b and c, seem to work well in distinguishing
print from online. For example, 852 b and c will  display our main
library's periodical stacks location for print: "UMCP McKeldin Library
Periodical Stacks"  and  for the online:  " UMCP Online Resources World
Wide Web Accessible."

For CD-ROM versions held at the same locations as print, however, we
have some problems! :-)