Re: subscriptions: fiscal year vs. calendar year accounting issues ALBERT HENDERSON 26 Aug 2008 23:06 UTC

Here is an excellent example of the administrative excess
that Max Weber described in Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft
(translated as Economy and Society). By making the
accounting system a jumble of jargon and redundancy, the
back office trolls not only keep their jobs -- they get to
put their relatives on the payroll to keep up with the
extra work.

Newt Gingrich, Al Gore, and many others cried for years
about this sort of waste. Unfortunately, no one outside
of private business has been able to stop it.

I suggest you tell your accountants to handle the figures
any way they want as long as they don't force you into
more wasted labor, such as quarterly or monthly payments.

Best wishes,

Sincerely,

Albert Henderson

At one university where I used to work, we were asked to do the same
kind of fy accounting though our fy began in July.  But it was just
that, an accounting maneuver.  We paid as usual in (in Sept or Oct) but
we had to turn in some paperwork that showed that in fy 99 (for example)
we paid 1/2 of the 08 cost and 1/2 of the 09 cost.  We didn't keep two
sets of books.  We just looked at our online records and figured the
cost.

And we ignored (though we probably shouldn't have) those titles whose
subscription period was Sept-Aug or some other non-calendar year basis.

It didn't affect WHAT or WHEN we paid, just some extra paperwork.

Note that this was some time ago so don't ask me the details on how we
did it.  We may have just taken the total amount paid for subscriptions
for the year and split it and not worried about a title by title basis.
We did talk with the Accountants and they approved of the method.

You need to find out exactly what they are asking for before you panic!

JoAnne Deeken
University of Tennessee Libraries