Re: Eliminating Periodicals Check-in Barbara Pope 29 Aug 2008 14:49 UTC

Hello.  I have not actually worked at a library that did this, but I can
imagine some reasons for needing to do so, such as staff time required to
do check-in, etc.  However, one primary argument I can see against it is
how would you know what issues of a particular journal you actually have
in the building if you don't keep a record somewhere?  In every library I
have worked at in close to 12 years, patrons will ask if a particular
issue is available.  From a patron's perspective, it would seem
frustrating if there was no way to find out if an issue was available.
Also, how can you do claiming if you don't know what you have received?

Just my $.02.

Barbara Pope, MALS
Periodicals/Reference Librarian
Axe Library