Re: Periodical Subscription agents Sally Krash 19 Aug 2008 16:12 UTC

Marilyn,

We recently switched from EBSCO to Harrassowitz, and are very pleased with the level
of detail and precision. A refreshing change for us.

In March, we sent out an RFP to Bausch, Cox, Harrassowitz, and Swets. We initially
found that Bausch and Cox would be good for a library that has mainly print
holdings, although both vendors were working on developing their online systems to
accommodate more complex issues which are associated with online subscriptions, like
licensing details and package linking. Harrassowitz and Swets were the only vendors
that had an online platform that would accommodate our needs, being as 99% of our
holdings are online only.

Pricing was almost the same for both of these vendors. Our final determination was
based on a sample title list that we provided to each vendor. They then supplied us
with 2008 pricing, which we compared to the actual prices that we paid, and here is
what we found. Harrassowitz got 98% of the prices correct, due to the fact that they
contacted most publishers for specific prices including multi-site pricing, and
entered both single-site and multi-site pricing, even though this was not requested.
Swets got 92% of the prices correct, not bad, but they did not contact any
publishers for pricing and did not include any multi-site fees, although multi-site
requirements were listed in an addendum to the original RFQ. For our library, we
need a vendor that goes above and beyond what is requested, and delivers the level
of detail that Harrassowitz did.

I went through a five phase process for the RFQ that I would be happy to share with
you, if you would like.

Sally Krash
Electronic Resources Librarian
Southwest Research Institute