Re: Shrink-wrapping library materials?? John Lucas 24 Sep 2008 15:58 UTC

Your initial message indicates binding?  Are you talking about journal issues or are these other kinds of materials.

 In any case, consider the shrink Wrapping material itself.  Most are highly acidic and the tight contact with the paper might possibly accelerate the disintigration process.

John Lucas

Serials Librarian
University of Mississippi Medical Center
2500 North State St
Jackson, MS 39216-4505

(PH) (601) 984-1277
(FAX)  ( 601) 984-4569
JLUCAS@ROWLAND.UMSMED.EDU

>>> Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU> 9/24/2008 7:17 AM >>>
I suppose it would have an advantage of keeping dust off the materials.  Of course you would have to have a device on hand that would re-wrap them upon return and when you remove shrink-wrap there is always the possibility you will damage the item in question.  Our institution bound and coded a large mass of material over a two year period in preparation for its deposit in just such a facility, so it can be done.  The whole process took less than four man-years.  I did somewhat under half the work and we were able to hire two temporary clerks who were here for a year.  Two other employees pitched in.  IW

I.  Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, N.Y. 13346
Ph.:   315-228-7306
Fax:   315-228-7029

Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves. -  T.S. Eliot