Re: binding--Anecdote Loretta Hartsell 10 Sep 2008 15:37 UTC

Hi, I like the anecdote!!  I, as a first year librarian, am so wet behind
the ears.  I also use Houchen bindery, but they go up on their prices
without telling me until I get the shipment in with the invoice.  The latest
price hike was in June and I found out in August and went to the Graduate
Studies person and told them about the price increase, where upon she
explained to me that the student should not have to swallow the price
increase.  This did not go over well with my director.  So we are looking
for a policy on binding theses that everyone can live with.

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Deeken, Joanne
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:35 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] binding--Anecdote

One library where I used to work also provided this service. Usually, it
wasn't much of a problem.

This story is over 20 years old, but I still vacillate between laughing
and being glad I didn't really KNOW the person involved.  A PhD
candidate came to the library and wanted us to bind 7 (Seven!) personal
copies of his dissertation.  Since we did bind extra copies, we agreed
thinking he'd be giving them to parents, grandparents, etc and it was
HIS money to spend!

Then he carefully looked at each one before handing them over.  He
actually had 7 different "acknowledgment" pages.  One was the sort of
normal "thank mom and dad and major professor" type.

The other 6 had slightly different acknowledgements to something like
"Mary Smith, love of my life" in one; to "Jane Doe without whose love I
would not have been able to complete this work", and the list went on!
It sure looked like he was running 6 different romantic relationships
while working on his PhD.  Must have been a busy boy!  And pretty
inventive to think of just the slight change in the acknowledgements
would make them all happy.

JoAnne Deeken