Re: Eliminating Periodicals Check-in Wilma Dague 15 Sep 2008 19:25 UTC

This is a good point. I still check everything in but I  seldom claim a "disposible' periodical tha will be available electronically soon or is, like a newspaper, too timely.

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of van Sickle, Jennifer [Jennifer.vanSickle@TRINCOLL.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 1:08 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Eliminating Periodicals Check-in

We no longer check in items that are archived in microform (like news
magazines) or are of limited retention, such as newsletters that come
with other subscriptions.  It's not worth claiming single issues, and I
can't remember the last time someone asked for a print copy of a current
magazine.

The only newspaper we have that is widely read in print by our patrons
is the New York Times.  We find sections of it scattered throughout the
library at any given time.  The WSJ, FT, and the Hartford Courant, our
local newspaper, get read to a lesser extent.  We have some German
faculty who read Die Zeit.  Otherwise we have cut way back on
newspapers, because we can't justify the increasing cost and declining
print readership.

--Jennifer

Jennifer van Sickle
Serials Librarian & Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu