Re: Eliminating Periodicals Check-in van Sickle, Jennifer 16 Sep 2008 13:16 UTC

On a related note, if print subscriptions lapsed for long periods of
time and no one noticed, that would make a case for cancellation.

--Jennifer

Jennifer van Sickle
Serials Librarian & Sciences Coordinator
Trinity College Library
300 Summit St.
Hartford, CT USA 06106

jennifer.vansickle@trincoll.edu

phone: 860-297-2250
fax: 860-297-2251

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Sarah Hartman-Caverly
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 1:55 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Eliminating Periodicals Check-in

Prior to my employment, a decision was made to stop checking in what we
designate as "popular" periodicals (ie Vogue, Time, etc.) and a handful
of our lesser-used journals. My understanding is that this decision was
made because 1) serials were increasingly moving online, so technical
services staff were not as concerned with ensuring that we had print
copies in our periodical room and 2) checking in serials was considered
a 'waste of time'.

I've since reinstated the normal check-in protocol for all paid
subscriptions. One of the major reasons was that a number of our
periodical subscriptions had lapsed for years despite regular annual
payment of renewal fees and no one had noticed because the issues were
not being checked in. In addition to this and claim considerations, our
public services librarians have expressed a strong preference for
knowing exactly what issues have arrived and when. Lastly, as print
subscriptions are supplanted by electronic ones, we've had less work in
the serials workflow to be performed by students. Our department has
consistently underspent its student employment budget for the past few
years, and reinstating the check-in procedure for all paid subscriptions
has helped maintain the availability of student work in our department.

-Sarah Hartman-Caverly

Sarah Hartman-Caverly | Library Assistant - Serials

610-526-5297 | 610-526-7480 facsimile | shartmanca@brynmawr.edu

Canaday Library | Bryn Mawr College
101 N. Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010