Re: Difference between database and electronic serial Charles McElroy 01 Oct 2008 14:53 UTC

Obviously, sometimes it seems to be a fine line with this definition but
I generally view a database as a compilation of information from
different sources whereas an electronic journal title is just that, a
specific journal title in electronic format that can be classified by a
subject area.

We separate these formats in our payment model by using a database
budget code, a general electronic journal budget code (used mostly with
packages, which are multi-disciplinary), and subject specific electronic
journal budget codes in addition to subject specific print journal
budget codes. This helps with generating reports to see what is being
spent in different subject areas even though it does take a little more
budgetary management.

Charles

Charles McElroy
Serials Acquisitions Librarian