Re: Difference between database and electronic serial Chad Hutchens 01 Oct 2008 15:32 UTC

Charles hit the nail right on the head...there is a very fine (and often
blurry) line between all these resources.  If one really wanted to look at
these things from a purely technical point of view, the argument could be
that almost all of our e-journals are databases, since the vast majority of
them are run by databases on the back-end.  It's all a matter of
perspective.

And now we can add even more confusion to this mess by lumping in e-book
collections that are annual subscriptions, can be searched just like an A&I
databases, have a lot in common with both aggregators and packages, and that
also have titles being added to the collections on a regular basis :)

I think we're seeing that there's no silver bullet and that we need to be
flexible in how we deal with these things.  I know here, our budget is tied
to historical decisions made long ago that are almost impossible to change.
Makes for interesting budget meetings.

--
Chad Hutchens
Electronic Resources Librarian