Re: Percentage guidelines on serials and e-resources spending Joanne Romano 16 Oct 2008 12:49 UTC

Wing,

In our library,  each resource type has its own budget:  e-journals,
e-books, databases, print journals, print monographs, audio-visual,
etc., I don't use a percentage guideline for spending by
subject/discipline within the e-journals budget, but there are other
factors I consider during renewal periods.

I review COUNTER reports of full-text article requests usage (JR1
reports) when renewals are due, to see what subject specialties are most
popular for that collection, and then again at the end of the year.  The
volume of research being done in a particular subject specialty, along
with the number of articles being published by our local authors in
particular journals, are other considerations I look at when determining
which subject areas might warrant more of the budget that is available
for that fiscal year.

Joanne

Joanne V. Romano, MLS
Serials and Electronic Resources Librarian
Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library
1133 John Freeman Blvd.
Houston, TX  77030
713-799-7144
fx:   713-799-7180