Re: OCLCs eSerials service Katy Gabrio 22 Oct 2008 19:45 UTC

Hi Jan,

We recently set-up the OCLC eSerials Holdings service here at Macalester.
We are using SFX, but I think that OCLC worked even more closely with
Serials Solutions when developing this service, so I imagine it might be an
even simpler process for Serials Solutions customers.

Overall I felt it was very easy to implement.  We are just doing the
holdings updating service, which is free of charge for OCLC member
libraries.  I believe OCLC recently added an option to have them deliver
MARC records to you for a charge (not sure what that charge is).

One thing to keep in mind is that if the e-serial does not have an ISSN, or
if the e-version of the record is not available in WorldCat's database, your
holdings symbol won't be added to the record.

For our collection (approx. 18,000 titles), about 1/3 of them are currently
not matching on an OCLC record--a significant number of which simply do not
have an ISSN.

We get monthly reports detailing which titles were added, merged, canceled,
or that are unresolved.

Katy

--
Katy Gabrio
Electronic Resources & Serials Librarian