Re: confusion over License language Kristen Fredericksen 28 Oct 2008 14:09 UTC

I was taught that "systematic" means "regular." So systematic copying
would be like sending another library articles from every single issue.
Obviously, ILL would be more sporadic. I think the second phrase allows
for temporary creation of a file for ILL. For instance, you print out
the article, then scan it into Ariel, and send it to another library. It
seems that e-reserves are prohibited.

That's just my $.02. Does anyone disagree with my interpretation?

Thanks,
Kristen

Jenny Lockwood wrote:
> Greetings,
> I find many of our licenses have the following standard phrases:
> 1."the systematic making of print or electronic copies of Online
> Content for transmission to non-subscribers or non-subscribing
> institutions (such as inter-library loans) is prohibited."
> 2. "Downloading portions of Online Content for the purpose of creating
> pre-loaded, systematic and persistent local copies (not including
> transient, dynamic caches of individually requested material) for
> redistribution is prohibited."
>
> 1.Does anyone have a clear insight into whether ILL or Electronic
> Reserves are allowed under these restrictions?  If one is to interpret
> that ILL is prohibited--why is the qualifier, systematic, included?
> This phrase is included in licenses that reference fair use and those
> that don't.
> 2. Would Electronic Reserves be allowed or do you think the second
> statement does not address this type of cache.
> Thanks in advance for any enlightenment offered...
>
> Jenny

Kristen Fredericksen
Head of Information Processing
Serials/Fast Track Processing