Re: confusion over License language Sarah D. Tusa 28 Oct 2008 20:37 UTC

Yes, there are nasty little programs that people are using all over the
world to automatically download articles.  I don't know how well they
work, but they do get detected by the database providers, and then your
access gets shut down because some student (or other authorized user)
either shares his/her login credentials, or accidentally leaves it
somewhere, and the information apparently gets posted on a webpage with
hundreds of other login credentials, and before you know it, someone in
England or Saudi Arabia is automatically downloading articles out of old
ACS journals, and you have to get your Systems Analyst to shut down some
access points.  That is "systematic" downloading.

We make every reasonable effort to assure the authenticity of our users
and to protect the terms of our license agreements, but there are some
crafty little villains out there!

Sarah Tusa, Associate Professor

Coordinator of Collection Development & Acquisitions

Mary & John Gray Library, Lamar University

PO Box 10021

Beaumont, TX  77710-0021

Ph:   409/880-8125

Fax: 409/880-8225