Re: Serials Reading Rooms Penny Lochner 29 Oct 2008 17:34 UTC

You raise good points. The two tools we are evaluating right now are NetVibes and Drupal. These are both free
products and will depend on publisher provided RSS feeds or widgets. I agree that
this approach will mean we will have some limits on the titles we can add to the reading room.

Since we are using publisher provided feeds, and not creating anything, I didn't think there would
be a licensing issue as long as we follow the same rules we use to access these titles from other
locations (walkins allowed, no-walkins allowed, etc.) . We will definitely comply with any
posted terms of use for the feeds. In addition, we will only choose publications that are either
freely available or one's that we have subscription access. I agree that access from this
location would definitely need to meet the same licensing conditions as for access to
the title from the catalog or anywhere else, but I am definitely going to give this more thought.

I am actually meeting to work on this project today with a computer science faculty.
I'll keep you posted on any developments. This is a great discussion. Thanks!
Penny

_____________________________
Penny Lochner
Head of Collection Resource Management
Trexler Library
Muhlenberg College
2400 W. Chew Street
Allentown, PA 18104-5564
USA
email: plochner@muhlenberg.edu
voice: 484-664-3561
fax: 484-664-3511

>>> Chad Hutchens <chutchen@UWYO.EDU> 10/29/2008 1:05 PM >>>
I'm not aware of a commercial product that will do this...maybe someday.
Like Don says, there are a few libraries working on using RSS feeds to
accomplish this.  Some of my former colleagues at Montana State University
are working on this and have made quite a bit of progress...I don't want to
steal their thunder, but the biggest problem that we/they ran into is that
not all feeds are created equally, which is unfortunate.

TOC feeds (in RSS format) from some platforms are very well done...others,
well, not so much.  Libraries can control the look and feel and push those
feeds wherever they may chose for a variety of purposes, but they can't
control the content unfortunately.  If a commercial vendor tries to do this,
they'll have the same problem.  So the biggest issue is finding a suitable
source for the feed itself...multiply that task by however many journals you
want to source TOC feeds from and it quickly becomes a scalability problem
b/c thus far, finding a well-formed feed is still a very manual process that
has to be done by a person.  Once you're over that huge hurdle there are
lots of ways to skin this cat indeed.

One of my concerns with doing this...and I'd like to get everyone's take on
this...is what the vendors and publishers are going to say about libraries
doing this as far as licensing is concerned.  The reason I ask is because we
are essentially exposing indexing and abstracting content on the open web by
pulling these feeds out.  There are a number of ways around this...at
Montana State U, their Digital Initiatives and Web Services librarians,
successfully proxied all the links from the RSS feed so a user would have to
authenticate if they followed any links to the native resources.  We chewed
on the idea of keeping the actual pages that displayed the TOC feeds behind
a secured network as well.  The progress that has been made at MSU is still
in Beta (or maybe Alpha) and has not been exposed on the open web yet.

Any thoughts about the potential licensing issues here?

--
Chad Hutchens
Electronic Resources Librarian