Re: ERM software question Chad Hutchens 06 Oct 2008 17:28 UTC

I don't have any experience with III's ERM (I have used their Java ILS
client though), but have used SS's products for a number of years now.
Their ERM is OK.  In my opinion, it has more drawbacks than advantages,
that's just my opinion though and maybe it will improve over time.  The
interface is pretty clunky if you asked me...way too many click-throughs and
it's not intuitive (not that most ILS clients are either).

I have a few specific bones to pick with SS's ERM...and hopefully they're
listening :)  SS is pretty good about implementing changes that their
customers want.

First, the reporting is very limited.  One can't get a simple list of all
the resources purchased in one fiscal year with their respective costs.  A
basic spreadsheet can do more in terms of reporting than their ERM, sadly
enough.  Additionally, since their system (at least in the past) won't talk
to most ILS's, you can't import your cost data into the ERM.  They're
working on this and apparently trying to get it to work with Voyager and III
but the jury is still out.  We're trying to get it to work on our system
(Voyager) right now.  There's a thread about it in the SS forum section if
you're a client and have access to that.  If this ends up working, it'll be
a major improvement.  What I'd like to avoid are the silo'd systems that
won't talk to each other that has plagued the profession for years so there
is merit in having an ERM that will talk to your ILS (i.e. III's if you have
Millenuim).

Second, there is no way to import data into their system (if you've got it
in say, a tab delimited format from a locally grown database that your
library has been using for a few years).  Likewise, once you've got it into
their system you can't get it out either.  Which means, if you decide to
switch systems at some point in the future, you'll have to re-key all of it.

Third, it'd be REALLY nice if SS would release an API (or another way to
query) for their ERM.  Once you've got the data in the ERM (which is half
the battle), I'd like a way to display what I want where I want.  For
instance, my ILL dept needs info that we have in the SS ERM and they need it
fast, but it takes so long to get into each resource display that they won't
use it.  So, instead of being able to pull the relevant ILL info from our
ERM (via an API or by SQL query), I'm having to rekey all of it in an
external application.  To add insult to injury, I can't even dump what we've
got in the ERM into a spreadsheet and manipulate the data from there.  Like
I said, reporting is very, very limited.

I don't want to be entirely negative about their product because it does
have some good features and functionality.  Some nice features that they're
working on with their ERM...the cost combined with statistics use data as
well as the cost data upload feature are two examples.

Obviously, each library has their own needs...for us, these are the things
we want and need.  I don't think we're all that unique in terms of what
functions we expect out of an ERM though.  Hopefully all of this will help
someone make an informed decision and help SS improve their product. ;)

--
Chad Hutchens
Electronic Resources Librarian