Re: Decoding e-access Susan Davis 08 Oct 2008 16:06 UTC

Ditto to Louise's welcome to what I will call the "wacky" world of
e-resources, God love 'em.

As others have stated your subscription vendors can be of great assistance
in helping you work through pricing models and access rights. Still, you
may also find some of the "entitlement" terms in your licenses.  Do you
have a file of license agreements and terms and conditions documents that
govern your institution's use of a particular e-resource?  If not, you need
to start one.

Many publishers do post their access policies on their websites--sometimes
in a price list or on a general page about subscriptions. There is often a
general policy, such as Sage's, whereby a current online subscription
entitles you to access content from 1999 to date. Older content may be
purchased or leased.  Cambridge University Press and Oxford University
Press usually grant you access to 1997 to date.  Sometimes you only have
access to the specific years you pay for (like Haworth Press before they
become part of informaworld).

Develop a network of helpful contacts in the field that can help you work
through these questions. You already know a lot from handling print so you
have a head start on a true newbie.

Fasten your seatbelt and enjoy the ride!  Your sense of humor will help you
get through a lot of rough days.

Susan

Susan Davis
Electronic Resources Acquisitions Librarian
University at Buffalo (SUNY)
134 Lockwood Library
Buffalo, NY  14260-2210
(716) 645-2784
(716) 645-5955 fax
unlsdb@buffalo.edu

***Please consider the environment before printing this email****

--On Wednesday, October 08, 2008 4:05 PM +0100 "Cole, Louise"