Re: Resource records as public display (Sarah Brett) Paul D. Moeller 10 Oct 2008 15:23 UTC

Sarah,

The University of Colorado at Boulder has been using III ERM resource
records for our public display of databases since 2007.  The titles are in
both the title and keyword indexes.  We've over 800 resource records and we
use general subjects to provide access to the resources through our Find
Articles and More page.  Titles within the resources are linked to the
resource record through the coverage/catalog update process.  Take a look
at: http://libraries.colorado.edu/screens/findarticles.html  and:
http://libraries.colorado.edu/record=e1000051~S3

Paul Moeller

Faculty Directory of E-resources and Serials Access
Bibliographer for Religious Studies
University Libraries
University of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0184
303 735 0492
paul.moeller@colorado.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Leslie O'Brien
Sent: Friday, October 10, 2008 7:05 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Resource records as public display (Sarah Brett)

Sarah, we use III ERM and we don't use the resource record as the
public record for our resources.  When we implemented ERM (in 2006),
we understood that the resource records are not searchable in the
main title index.  Libraries that did use the resource record instead
of the bib created a separate index to search for the resource
title.  At the time, we wanted our electronic resources to be
searchable in the main title index, so we cataloged them, attached a
holdings record, and linked the holdings record to the resource
record to enable the license record and resource record info to
display in the OPAC.

We looked at many different III sites before making our decision.  We
may want to change our set up in the future, and would be very
interested in hearing feedback from other III libraries.

Leslie O'Brien
Virginia Tech