Re: managing online access to periodicals subscribed to in print (Kaolin Fire) Marilyn Carney 01 Nov 2008 14:34 UTC

I am also interested in responses. Currently, I am setting up separate password access to the print periodicals that have online access. It has not become a problem so far because we don't have that many. I have no IT expertise either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Marilyn

***************************
Marilyn Carney, MLS
Serials Services Librarian

Bruce I. Howell Library
Wake Technical Community College
9101 Fayetteville Road
Raleigh, NC 27603
Phone: (919) 866-5642
FAX: (919) 250-4329

Email : mmcarney@waketech.edu
***************************

>>> "Ricker, Jan" <JRICKER@MILLIGAN.EDU> 10/31/08 1:55:27 pm >>>
Could you tell us more about having our own portal to the journals?  How
to set it up, etc.

This is a very hot topic right now for me as I have no tech expertise,
yet am expected to make sure all our journals which have online access
are available for our patrons.
THANKS
Jan

Jan Ricker
ILL/Periodicals/Office Mgr.
PO Box 600     200 Blowers Blvd.
Milligan College, TN 37682-0600
phone: 423-461-8703
fax: 423-461-8984
jricker@milligan.edu

From: Kaolin Fire <libraries@gudmagazine.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 20:29:58 -0700

 > We are wondering if there is a simple or streamlined way to offer our
 > users access to the online versions of periodicals we subscribe to in
 > print. These would be periodicals not included in any of our
 > full-text databases, but to which our print subscription comes with
 > electronic access. Is there any way around creating a separate login
 > for each journal? What is the simplest way to offer access to our
users?

Depending on tech expertise on-staff, it's plausible to have your own
portal to the journals (wrapping your own logins so the end-user doesn't

see them, if that's the issue).

But I tend to come at things with a "you could write a program to..."
hammer, as that's my background--and that might be more effort than
creating separate logins to each journal.

--
-kaolin imago fire
-Founding Editor, GUD Magazine; Chief Instigator, Issue 0