Re: Notating bound serials in OPAC? Moorman, Rebecca L. 07 Nov 2008 18:02 UTC

Hi Bethany,
We do put a public note in the checkin record to denote the last bound volume.  We started doing this after we switched to using MFHD (MARC Format for Holdings Data), because our previous summary display didn't conform to the standard. Our Reference Librarians really liked this idea, because they thought the information was important for patrons to know.

Our display now looks something like this:

LIB. HAS		v.272:no.5 (1993)- v.290:no.2 (2002), v.290:no.4 (2002)-
Latest Received:	November 2008 v.302 no.4
Note  		Last bound volume: v.300, 2007

Hope this helps!
Rebecca

Rebecca Moorman
Serials/Special Collections Cataloger
UM St. Louis Libraries
St. Louis, Mo. 63141
moormanr@umsl.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Bethany Pierce
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2008 11:09 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Notating bound serials in OPAC?

Good morning,

I hope someone out there can help me, I'm relatively new to the serial world.

Of those of you who bound your back issues, do you denote in the OPAC which
issues are bound? We're currently using textual holdings along with the
Voyager Serials Check-in module, so the display goes something like this:

Issues recently received: v. 36, no. 1 (2008 Jan/Feb)
Library has: v.21 (1993)-

My boss would like to denote which issues are bound. I suggested making a
non-public note in the holdings, simply for our own purposes; however, he
thinks it may be of use to our patrons. Any thoughts? Hope this is clear!

Thanks a lot,

Bethany Pierce
Technical Services Librarian
Bridgewater State College