Re: Designating e-journal links as "recommended" (Sarah Brett) Carmel Yurochko 14 Nov 2008 13:55 UTC

There used to be a way to do this in SFX; I think there still is. We have
not had the time to do so.  Previously, our IT Director, via the SFX server,
was able to make all of our ProQuest databases displays first on the "menu".
We defaulted to an alphabetical list and are making plans to display "more
reliable" links first.

Thanks,
Carmel

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Bob Persing
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:09 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Designating e-journal links as "recommended" (Sarah
Brett)

From: Sarah Brett <brettsj@jmu.edu>
To: SERIALST
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Designating e-journal links as "recommended"
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:02:57 -0500

I agree that prioritizing the platforms list would be the most obvious
way to direct a patron toward the most useful link.  However, we use
Serials Solutions, and when I asked them about this several months ago,
I was told that the resources could not be prioritized.  We are still
trying to find an effective way to deal with this, so I would also be
happy to hear how other libraries who use Serials Solutions (or other
products that cannot customize a list) handle the display.
Sarah Brett

Chad Hutchens wrote:

> I think the best way to handle this is simply to make sure that the most
> reliable resource links are listed first as most users will simply
> click on
> the first link they see.
>
> In many link resolver systems, you can prioritize platforms and
> display them
> in a set order if that particular journal title is available on more than
> one platform.

Sarah Brett <brettsj@jmu.edu>
Serials Manager
Carrier Library