Re: Designating e-journal links as "recommended" (Sarah Brett) Stokes, Judith 15 Nov 2008 19:58 UTC

You got bad information, Sarah, we prioritized our platforms in Serials Solutions at least a year ago. In the Client Center, go into the "360 Link" section and click on "reorder databases."

'Hope this helps,

Judith Stokes

Rhode Island College

Providence, RI 02908

401.456.8165

jstokes@ric.edu<mailto:jstokes@ric.edu>

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Bob Persing [persing@POBOX.UPENN.EDU]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 8:08 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Designating e-journal links as "recommended" (Sarah Brett)

From: Sarah Brett <brettsj@jmu.edu>
To: SERIALST
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Designating e-journal links as "recommended"
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 07:02:57 -0500

I agree that prioritizing the platforms list would be the most obvious
way to direct a patron toward the most useful link.  However, we use
Serials Solutions, and when I asked them about this several months ago,
I was told that the resources could not be prioritized.  We are still
trying to find an effective way to deal with this, so I would also be
happy to hear how other libraries who use Serials Solutions (or other
products that cannot customize a list) handle the display.
Sarah Brett

Chad Hutchens wrote:

> I think the best way to handle this is simply to make sure that the most
> reliable resource links are listed first as most users will simply
> click on
> the first link they see.
>
> In many link resolver systems, you can prioritize platforms and
> display them
> in a set order if that particular journal title is available on more than
> one platform.

Sarah Brett <brettsj@jmu.edu>
Serials Manager
Carrier Library