Re: Setting Up Pay-Per-View florence schreibstein 03 Dec 2008 17:35 UTC

Hi,

I didn't answer previously because it is not something we are currently
doing. We started pay-per-view in 1999 with about 2000 transactions from
ScienceDirect. Usage ranged from 14 to 400 a month. At some point before
the end I had ScienceDirect close access because it was too popular and
costing real money. A lot of real money.  Even though we had transactions
as part of our license there were some titles accessed that were charged
apart from the licensed transactions. It was very expensive.

In today's terms, 1999 is a long time ago and I don't know what
ScienceDirect's current procedures are.

I would suggest that you try it for several months and carefully check the
invoices.

The fees from ScienceDirect as well as other publishers range from $30 to
$50. It can add up quickly.

I would recommend you ask the providers if pay-per-view can be set up to
specific titles or subjects.

florence

On 12/3/2008 at 11:16 AM Irena Kavalek wrote:

>Last month I posted the message below and got only one response (thank
>you, Tracey Thompson). Can anyone suggest a more appropriate forum for the
>query?
>
>Are there any libraries willing to share "lessons learned" from setting up
>a pay-per-view service for their users?  We are concerned about providing
>easy access while also maintaining some degree of control over the costs.
>
>We are a special library, looking primarily into ScienceDirect as a start.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Irena Kavalek
>U.S. Geological Survey Library
>Reston, VA