Re: Payment of "membership" invoices Linda Harding 03 Dec 2008 17:42 UTC

Thank you very much to the half dozen or so who have responded to my query
concerning accounting practices for membership vs. periodicals
subscriptions.  The consensus is that "memberships" which are held only
for the purpose of receiving journals, should come for the periodicals or
serials budget; those which are held for the purpose of receiving other
membership benefits such as voting privileges, discounts, access to
courses, etc. should be paid from the membership budget.  An example of
this would be our membership for ALA.

We would like to go to our accounting department with some figures on how
many libraries are treating memberships in this way.  If you wouldn't
mind, please send me a message (offlist) to let me know that your library
is dealing with this problem in this way.  Thanks for Patricia Thompson
for this suggestion!

Linda

Linda Harding
Periodicals Assistant