Re: Sporting News and our crazy periodical world Stokes, Judith 05 Dec 2008 20:24 UTC

I think it's the economy. The publishers must be watching their stock prices and it has affected their brains. How about the Washington Monthly? I applaud them for not changing the title while making the transition to bi-monthly, but the numbering! Vol.40 consists of no.1-3, no.4, no.5, no.9, and no.11!

I don't know when things will settle down, but assuming we may never find out, we took the precaution of adding notes to indicate the issues represented numbers 1-3, 4, 5-8, 9-10, and 11-12.

Regards,
Judith
Judith E. Stokes
Serials/E-resources Librarian
Rhode Island College
600 Mount Pleasant Avenue
Providence, RI 02908-1991
401.456.8165

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Laura Vogler
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 11:25 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Sporting News and our crazy periodical world

Has anyone else noticed the latest numbering scheme for Sporting News?
The publication went to biweekly at the beginning of September.
However, the publication has kept the numbering scheme for a weekly
magazine.  Thus, when you look at your check-in records, every other
issue is missing.  If you didn't know what was going on you would think
you needed to claim these issues.  This has to be one of the most
illogical things I have seen a magazine publisher do.  Has anyone heard
when this will be corrected?  The customer service person I spoke with
indicated it would be a couple of months before it got back on track.  I
didn't have any confidence, though, that she really understood what I
was talking about.

Regards,

Laura

--