The Liege IR Mandate is definitely (Immediate Deposit/Optional Access -- Dual Deposit/Release) (fwd) Stevan Harnad 03 Jan 2009 16:00 UTC

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 10:08:30 -0500
From: Bernard Rentier <brentier@ULG.AC.BE>
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM@LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: The Liege IR Mandate is definitely IDOA/DDR
     (Immediate-Deposit/Optional-Access -- Dual Deposit/Release)

Yesterday, Klaus Graf reacted rather strongly to the announcement of the
Liège University repository mandate, stating t[in the American Scientist
Open Access Forum] that its "practice and legal framework is nonsense."

     http://archiv.twoday.net/stories/5420548/
     http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/sc/wa.exe?A2=ind09&L=american-scientist-open-access-forum&D=1&O=D&F=l&S=&P=339

It seems to me that perhaps he may have missed a few essential aspects
of this mandate, essentially the way it is handled in practice, the
legal wherewithal and the reasons for imposing it.

Below is the English translation of the message I have sent to the whole
University Community on November 26, 2008. I believe that, rather than
a lengthy explanation of how the Liège mandate works, this message tells
it all much better.

It may perhaps be useful as well for those who wish to find a way to
obtain compliance with their universities.  It demonstrates also
that the Liège Mandate is indeed IDOA/DDR (Immediate-Deposit/Optional-
Access -- Dual Deposit/Release), to use the latest definitions coined in
this forum.

Happy New Year to all !

Bernard Rentier

------------

     Madame, Monsieur, Cher(e) Collègue,

     The increase in international visibility of the ULg [Université
     de Liège] and its researchers, mainly through their publications,
     as well as the support for the  worldwide  development of an open
     and free access to scientific works (Open Access) are two essential
     objectives at the heart of my action, as you probably know.

     At my request, the Institutional Repository "ORBi" (Open Repository &
     Bibliography; http://orbi.ulg.ac.be ) has been set up at the ULg by
     the Libraries Network to meet these objectives.

     [1] The experimental encoding phase based on volunteerism being now
     successfully completed, we can step forward and enter the "production
     phase" this Wednesday November 26th, 2008. I take this opportunity
     to thank all the professors and researchers who have already filed
     in ORBi hundreds of their references, 70% of them with the full
     text. Thanks to their patience, ORBi's fine tuning could be achieved.

     From today onward, it is incumbent upon each ULg member to feed ORBi
     with his/her own references. In this respect, the Administrative
     Board of the University has decided to make it mandatory for all
     ULg members:

         - to deposit the bibliographic references of ALL their
         publications since 2002;

         - to deposit the full text of ALL their articles published in
         periodicals since 2002.

         Access to these full texts will only be granted with the author's
         consent and according to the rules applicable to author's rights
         and copyrights. The University is indeed very keen on respecting
         the rights of all stakeholders.

     [2] For future publications, deposit in ORBi will be mandatory as
     soon as the article is accepted by the editor.

     [3] I wish to remind you that, as announced a year in March 2007,
     starting October 1st, 2009 *only those references introduced in ORBi
     will be taken into consideration as the official list of publications
     accompanying any curriculum vitæ in all evaluation procedures 'in
     house' (designations, promotions, grant applications, etc.).*

     Information seminars have been planned during the next months
     to allow every one of you to make the tool your own thing (see
     http://orbi.ulg.ac.be/news?id=06). Help is also accessible on line;
     such as the simplified user's guide (also available as a leaflet)
     and the Depositor's Guide.

     The development of ORBi offers multiple advantages not only to the
     Institution, but also to the researchers and their teams, such as:

         - a considerable speeding up of the dissemination and visibility
         of the scientific works (as soon as publication approval is
         granted;

         - a considerable increase in visibility for the published works
         through referencing in the main search engines (Googlescholar,
         OAI metaengines, etc.);

         - centralised and perennial conservation of publications allowing
         multiple exploitation possibilities (integration in personal
         web pages, in institutional web pages, export of reference lists
         towards other applications and to funding organisations such as
         the Belgian National Fund for Scientific Research); - etc.

     I hope that, despite the time you are going to devote to this
     somewhat tedious task, you will soon realise the benefits of this
     institutional policy.

     With many thanks,

     Bernard Rentier
     Rector