Re: futile claiming Jane Kirkland 23 Jan 2009 19:12 UTC

Roger,
I am a new Serials Librarian and was hoping you could enlighten me as to
what a "discard list" is and how I can get on one! Also, someone mentioned
in another post about a "backserve". What is this?
Thanks for any help,
Jane

Jane Kirkland
Serials Librarian
Columbia University
Arthur W. Diamond Law Library
435 West 116th Street
New York, NY 10027
(212) 854-4456     jkirkl1@law.columbia.edu

"DAVIS, ROGER" <rdavis@KENT.EDU>
Sent by: "SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum"
<SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>
01/23/2009 10:49 AM
Please respond to
"SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum" <SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU>

SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [SERIALST] futile claiming

Lynne,
Welcome to the world of serials and serial publishers. I have dealt with
this for years and have come to the understanding that there is nothing to
be done except to watch for missing issues on any discard lists you may be
on. The aggravating thing for me was that the publishers would extend the
subscription but the serials vendor didn't necessarily know this or honor
it resulting in an overlap of issues. After trying for years to
synchronize these organizations when this happens I discovered that it
wasn't worth it and my mental health was worth more than the cost of the
bungled subscriptions.

Roger Davis
Serials Librarian
Kent State University - Stark Campus