Re: futile claiming Patricia Pettijohn 23 Jan 2009 21:06 UTC

With BackServ all you do is repay the costs of shipping (some of the
time, not always) often in stamps, BUT this is a very high-volume list

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of DAVIS, ROGER
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 3:57 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] futile claiming

Jane,
There are organizations that make it their purpose in life to supply
missing journals to libraries. They get the journals from libraries that
sell their dups or are getting rid of collections that are covered by
electronic indexes. I think most of them charge a fee to libraries to
belong or perhaps only charge libraries when they get an issue from
them. Usually there is a credit system where the library that sends them
volumes gets a reduction on the issues they receive. I'm sure somebody
else can clarify this because we don't belong to any of these and I'm
making it up as I go along.

Many consortiums have an exchange list for their libraries where
libraries offer their dup titles before they are trashterized. You list
what you have and another library raises their hand and says they can
use it and it is sent to them in some fashion.

Roger