Re: Claiming not worth it? (RE: [SERIALST] futile claiming) Blackwell, Lisa 26 Jan 2009 13:40 UTC

Hi Guys,
The only caveat I would add to this is to consider whether or not your
library's mission includes an archival mandate. I know that this
probably applies more to special libraries but, for example, our library
(hospital library) is also the pediatric repository for all subject
related materials for the Ohio State University Libraries. This also
means that as a member of the OhioLINK consortium we are probably one of
the only, if not the only, library in Ohio with this mandate because
many hospital libraries are not academically affiliated and if they are
they aren't pediatric hospitals. So, I do not think that we will
discontinue claiming. I have sometimes purchased back issues (and we do
scour BackMed regularly) to try to close gaps. We always post-bind
incomplete volumes in the hopes that eventually we will find a
replacement. Labor intensive? Yes, but, as previously noted serving as
the archive for a research institution is something that I consider
extremely important to the successful fulfillment of our particular
library's mission.
Lisa

-----Original Message-----
From: Pennington, Buddy D. [mailto:penningtonb@UMKC.EDU]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Claiming not worth it? (RE: [SERIALST] futile claiming)

We figured you would say something sooner or later. :-)

I want to second Rick's thought on this.  When I started 5 years ago
here at UMKC, we were still working under the banner of "must have
complete bound volumes!"  We had some issues that had a claim history of
seven, eight or nine claims stretching back two or even three years.
That was quickly scrapped in favor of a simple "three claims and out"
model.  We claim up to three times (we use Swets). After the third
unsuccessful claim, we mark the issue unavailable and simply bind
incomplete.  We've chosen to reduce time spent on claiming print issues
in favor of spending that time better maintaining access to our
electronic journals.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
800 East 51st Street
Kansas City, MO  64110
Phone: 816-235-1548
Fax: 816-333-5584
Email: penningtonb@umkc.edu

UMKC University Libraries: Discovery. Knowledge. Empowerment.