Re: usage statistics question Sharon Landers 03 Feb 2009 16:15 UTC

Hello, again. First, thanks to everyone who has responded so far, both on
the list and privately. Your input is much appreciated and I've gotten some
very good information that will help us see the overall picture.

Second, I would like to just take a moment to clear things up on one point:

"But I must say, my immediate reaction to your question was the thought that
you wanted to design your system so that the numbers would be acceptable to
your customers.  I'm sure that's not true, but the question seems very
strange and ... well, unscientific to me."

The above reply, along with a few others that were similar, caught me
off-guard. Please know that we are not attempting to design our own system
at this time; we are in discussions with vendors who are COUNTER-compliant
and will be providing reports based on that. The question that I asked in my
original post was, as I said, just one of those curiosity questions. While
we have had internal web activity reports for some time now, we have not had
any usage statistics that follow the COUNTER standards, nor have we been
able to look at usage by institution. The question came up in a recent
meeting and since I had no idea what librarians consider appropriate usage
levels, I just thought I woud put the question out there. It was more a
knowledge-gaining / learning question than anything. It has nothing to do
with what kind of system we end up going with or which vendor we choose.

I even received responses from a few of our subscribers, and I apologize for
any confusion my original question caused.
Thank you again for your valuable input.

Sharon Landers
Director of Circulation
Physicians Postgraduate Press, Inc.
PO Box 752870