Re: Highwire Free Online Access Andrea Imre 23 Mar 2009 20:23 UTC

We all need LOCKSS boxes to preserve online content (even for Highwire
content).  Journal transfers, platform changes are all too common in the
publishing business.  Highwire is excellent and offers a lot of free
content but haven't we seen enough society publications transferred to
commercial publishers?  There is no guarantee for continued online
access. Fortunately Highwire publications allow the use of LOCKSS
technology.

Andrea
********************************
Andrea Imre
Electronic Resources Librarian
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Morris Library
605 Agriculture Dr
Carbondale, IL 62901
phone: 618-453-4339
fax:  618-453-3452
e-mail: aimre@lib.siu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Georgia Baugh
Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 1:48 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Highwire Free Online Access

Nothing is forever--at least in the online serials world. A title can
always
be moved to another online publisher and access lost or the free access
can
be changed or eliminated altogether.

My opinion.

Georgia Baugh
--
Georgia A. Baugh, M.A., M.A.L.I.S.
Associate Professor/Electronic Resources Reference Librarian

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 1:06 PM, O'Brien, Pamela
<Pamela.O'Brien@stjude.org<Pamela.O%27Brien@stjude.org>