Re: Turn-Around Time for Journals Skwor, Jeanette 24 Mar 2009 15:18 UTC

We check in, process and shelve newspapers immediately after receipt.  (A few are delivered in the morning, the rest come in the day's mail.)  Periodicals are checked in, processed and shelved within the week they arrived - in other words, we shelve as time and help permit, and we finish all shelving on Friday No Matter What.

Things may (& do) slacken up a bit during breaks, but delivered papers are still generally done the same day, and others within a day or two.

Serials work is always a balancing act; making materials accessible is always a priority.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@list.uvm.edu] On Behalf Of Ken Siegert
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:49 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Turn-Around Time for Journals

Hi Holly,

We subscribe to approximately 1400 print journal titles.

During the semesters (when we have dependable student help), journals
are typically processed and shelved in no more than 1-2 days.  I look
through the mail and make sure that any timely materials
(newsmagazines, newspapers) are processed within a few hours.

During breaks (when student help is sporadic), journals take up to a
week or longer (depending on the length of the break and the number
of students who are working).  I still make sure that timely
materials are processed within a few hours.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Ken Siegert
Acquisitions Assistant
Electronic Resources & Periodicals / U.S. Documents
Shadek-Fackenthal Library
Franklin & Marshall College
P.O. Box 3003
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003